Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inaugural Excitement


For most of you that know us well, the Gattens are pretty big "Rs".  But when you live in DC, sometimes you have to cross party lines & celebrate w/your friends across the aisle.  So we did! Not without help though--many many thanks to Akiko for manning the home front--it was really nice to know the kids were having fun & it wasn't costing us a mint to be out of the house w/out them.  We owe ya!

The day was cold, the Metro crowded, but the spirit that was in the hearts of the attendees was strong.  Crowds were singing on the Metro, chanting occasionally--generally having a good time.  Everyone was chatty and smiling and we were all friendly, something you don't really see in a big city.  We were lucky enough to have decent tickets to the swearing in ceremony and escaped the crowds.  I actually felt pretty bad when the line for the blue & silver tickets snaked around worse than the line for Space Mountain at Disney....and we walked right through security.  We left our house at 720 and were in our seats by 915.   Our section was at the foot at the Capitol, and our seats ended up being towards the front of the section, about 1/4 of the way back. 

On our way to our seats (hooray for seats!!), I saw a tall dude who looked familiar & nudged Nate--who's that?  Turns out that Tony Dungee, former coach of Super Bowl Champs the Indy Colts, is a really nice guy who let our group snap a few pics w/him.  We were in our seats when Jaime Foxx went by--didn't have my camera out :( but then I heard that Halle Berry was sitting 20 rows ahead of us and I decided to become a celeb stalker!!  On my way up there I ran into Lynda Carter aka Wonderwoman, and then found Halle.  A supernice woman motioned for me to hand her my camera when the crowd around Halle was a bit thick--she took a really great shot for me (to be posted later--the camera went to a ball).

So then I was hooked & wandered around trying to see what/who I could see.  I ran into some friends of ours from DC that used to live in NY & now live in Chicago--the Daleys, which was fun & then I tried to find Alicia Keyes but didn't.  I did see Forrest Whittaker though.  

The ceremony was good, the crowds didn't boo Bush--surprise there--and my feet got really really cold.  I've decided feeling them was overrated.  Obama's speech was good, but the prayer that wrapped it all up was the icing on the ceremonial cake.  He prayed that the races would be kind to one another w/admonitions like "yellow, let it mellow" and "white, get it right" to which everyone cheered, laughed and amened.  It was a hoot.

BUT THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY DAY WAS---on the way out we ran into the head of the Church's National Affairs office, with none other than President Uchtdorf and Elder Ballard (fyi: numbers 3& 8 in leadership of a church of 15 million--not bad, after seeing the newest leader of our country be sworn in.).  I've not met any of the Twelve Apostles in person (okay, I saw Pres Hinckley speak and President Monson too a few years back, but not handshaking, picture-taking met) and it was AWESOME!  I took their picture in front of the Capitol (and almost didn't give President Uchtdorf his camera back hee hee) and then Nate and I got our picture with them.  Elder Ballard apologized that he put his hat back on for our picture, but it was so cold we didn't mind.  President Uchtdorf asked where we were from, and Nate managed to talk to him, but I was speechless--regrettably now, of course.  But it was an unexpected delight and I was thrilled to talk to my children about it when we got home.  

When my camera's back from the ball, I'll post my pics!


3 comments:

The Larsons said...

What an AWESOME post! Definitely a day you won't soon forget! So neat to meet the apostles too. How neat that you guys get to be a part of all of that. I am so jealous. :)

So, Nate is at the ball then?! Sweet stuff!

Michelle said...

wow! what a great day for you and Nate! that's really exciting! I would have also been a celeb stalker! nice job! that's amazing that you saw Uchdorf and Ballard. How cool!

Tiff Gatten said...

You really are a celeb stalker, hee,hee. I'm most impressed with Tony Dungy. Corbin will be sooooo jealous when I tell him. Sounds like a blast. I thought of you guys while I watched (for like 10 hours on my couch.) It was really something to see. I can't imagine how impressive it was in person, and I'm so glad you had seats. Hope Nath's new job is going great. Love to you all.

Tiff