Friday, October 3, 2008

Bollywood, part II

So Jenny (my date) and I stepped a little outside of our comfort zone, and dressed to the nines for the wedding/anniversary celebration.  Sudha offered us some of her traditional clothes when I mentioned I was bringing Jenny.  It was very kind of her, but I so didn't think I could talk Jenny into it (she's a little preppy).  Needless to say, these were not outfits you'd find at Gap.  To her credit, she was totally enthusiastic (maybe even more than me!!) and got way into it.  We were a little nervous when we pulled up to the reception (we felt a teensy bit out of place in Georgetown on a Sat night), but then we just went for it.  And it was great!!


I'm wearing an embroidered silk tunic over pants, and Jenny has a skirt, matching top and a long layering top.  Both were beautifully made, with great attention to detail.  The embroidery on my tunic was made with gold thread, sequins and beading.  Jenny's "vest" was a metallic lace, with beading and embroidery.   We decided to wait until after the drive to put on the shoulder-scarves that went w/our outfits.  You can see mine over the lamp!

Sudha was excited to see us, and we fit right in.  The other members of our ward that were there were surprised at our bold fashion choices and more than a little jealous!
The Bride & Groom
Neha's sari was encrusted (literally) with jewels, metal embroidery, the works.  I whispered it her ear "Is your dress heavy?"  Her reply was one of an exhausted woman, "Oh my goodness, it is so heavy!!" in her delightful accent.  


The evening was wonderful.  I can't remember being so entertained at a wedding.  There were a series of performances by friends and family members where they danced and lip-synched to music, acting out the story of Neha & Kart's courtship and engagement.  The songs were in Indian, so I couldn't tell you much of the story.  But it was beautiful!

The food was all Indian.  I had fun trying different things, Jenny not so much.  But she may have been proved the smarter woman; my stomach was not happy the next day.  Much grumbling! 

Then the dancing began.  It was amazing and intimidating--these folks could bust a move, even the men my dad's age!  These were the cutest sisters; I think they were six and eight.  Adorable!  And could they dance!
We were having a great time, laughing about I don't remember what.  But this is generally what happens w/Jenny and me.  We get a little giddy and act tipsy.  


Then we got just plain goofy.




I couldn't resist this shot of my hennaed hand and the embroidery.  


3 comments:

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

What colorful, fun pictures! I think the culture of India is facinating and have always wanted to see how they celebrate weddings. You and Jenny were so lucky to participate! : )

regina said...

wow! so good to find you! it looks like you and jenny had a blast! boy, i miss ya bunches and the whole gang. i have been reading all about your family and catching up! sounds like things are going great.

regina

Gatten Gang said...

Sounds like you would fit right in at our gatten girls week-end. We all love to do crazy things. Our hubbies think we are over the top! Love to see you have a blog. You can catch up on most of our family by going to my blog and following their sites.
Aunt Jean in Idaho
gattengang.blogspot.com