Sunday, September 28, 2008

August

Amazing--I'm catching up!  Albeit slowly.   

This summer, Emma & Jay jetted to the West for time with each set of grandparents.  Emma was in UT w/the Gattens, going to Cousin Camp for the first time.  (Cousin Camp is when all the cousins, 8 and up, spend a week w/Grandma & Grandpa Gatten.  There's usually a big adventure--dino dig, river rafting, dude ranch--it's impressive.)  This year there were 9 cousins total (they've lost a few to summer jobs) and they went on a Pioneer Trek, hit a rodeo somewhere in Northern Utah, tubed/rafted down the Provo River and went to Temple Square.  Loads of fun.

Jay, on the other hand, went to California and visited my folks.  They rode horses, 4-wheelers, went fishing, etc.   All the fun stuff you can't do in the burbs!   Jay had two pet kittens that slept in his room; he even got to name them: Spot and Stripe.    Then they loaded up, drove to Utah, picked up Emma and went to Bear Lake.  They rode bikes all over, cooked over the campfire (inc. smores), went swimming AND jetskiing in the lake.  Then they made friends w/a family that had a ski boat and went speed-tubing.

While they were having all these adventures, I was enjoying my two little boys.  After a hectic summer (what other kind of summer can you have w/4 kids, I wonder?), it was nice to really chill and take it easy.  Nate and the older kids were gone for nearly three weeks, so it was a nice stretch.  

We spent one long weekend at the beach (Bethany Beach, DE) with our good friends the Huguelys--Scott, Jenny, Michael & Nicholas.  They have been kind enough to have us at Tootsie & Pop's beach house (Scott's parents, who we love!) for quite a few summers now; it's always a blast.  It was fun to have all our  boys playing side by side.  It wasn't always peaceful, but they were always busy!  So much for relaxing beach reading--I think Jenny and I each read one People magazine apiece.  But they were good ones! 



Scott was nice enough to carry Zach out into the waves.  After Cache and I ate it once, I was a little nervous about packing a heavier kid out there.

Fun at the beach isn't limited to the sand and surf; you've got to hit the boardwalk too!  One afternoon we headed north, to Rehobeth.  They have a great old-school boardwalk amusement park called Funland; the rides start at 30 cents.  It's a blast for kids this age.




The boys loved the motor boats.  The bells were cute.  Not cute: Nick trailing his fingers in the festerous boat pool.  Nothing we could do about it though!  



Michael and Zach spent some time sizing up this car ride.  Wish I had given it the same consideration.  My stomach isn't what it used to be!!  The boys rode w/Jenny and screamed and laughed the whole way.  Cache & I shared a car; we didn't have as much fun.  I was ready to get off...and then it went backwards.  Blech.  But we survived!!
  Am I going to toss my cookies??

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What a fun update! Those are great pictures.

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

Annette - I love reading about your fun summer - does it get much better than the fair and beach?! The artsy picture of the footprints in the sand is beautiful and I got such a kick out of reading your reviews on all the books you've been reading!

Showbugg said...

Annette,
Love reading your blog. Its a great way to stay up on whats going on. I even have Rob checking in here, and reading. He sure had a blast when Jay was visiting. Ok I better get back to work..
Amanda Brewer